Thursday, 7 October 2010

A Mad 48 hours

My needle was abandoned on monday in order to collect my lovely Tel from the airport. What a drive! Its about 90 mins from here to Manchester airport and I think every driver out had a deathwish! How J and I arrived in one piece I don't know, but there was Tel waiting for us and free to come home for just 48 hours.

Tuesday was our only 'proper'day with no airport runs and we had lots to get through including collecting Tel's watch which had been sent away by the jeweller for a new battery and had taken almost 6 weeks to sort. This is what Tel has to put up with for having a watch that does everything apart from turn into a liferaft!! We mooched round shops hand in hand and went to kit Tel out for some fly fishing which he hopes to indluge in at christmas.

We also had to visit the school for parents evening and got to sit and listen to how great our lil lad was doing. We have a few things to practice at home to keep the progress coming but couldnt help but admire his neat carefully formed writing. To think he is still only 5!!

I made a casserole for tea and then we headed down to the prom. Tel and J had a bike ride which was the one thing J had asked for while daddy is home and I walked Katy along the sea's edge as it started to get dark. It was a lovely evening.

Mum and dad popped over to drop some bits off at about 9pm and hearing people downstairs, J - who was in bed - reappeared. He was doing his usual trick of climbing on the furniture gatting into silly positions and then 'it' happened. Somehow he sort of somersaulted off a chair and landed cracking his head on the corner of the coffee table. It was one of those falls that you just know is a bad one. He wasnt knocked out and threw himself at me crying. I hugged him and cradled his head and then I realised there was blood everywhere.

I said to Tel we needed to go to hospital and J just started screaming 'I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go'. I was trying to comfort him and hold a cold wet tea towel to his head, Tel was trying to get him dressed and we were all trying to persuade him to go and let a doctor take a look. What a nightmare! It took 20 mins for 4 adults to get one little boy into the car and he was still kicking and screaming. He'd calmed down by the time we reached the hospital but then started being sick which worried me after banging his head.

Still the bleeding had stopped and face with a friendly nurse J gave in and started brightening up. Poor lad, he had split his scalp open and he had to have one nurse hold the split together while a second nurse glued it closed. J was very brave.

We didnt get home til after midnight and then it was an hour before we finally got to sleep.

Yesterday I decided to keep J at home to keep an eye on him and to allow him and Tel some time together before Tel flew away. We took him to the toy shop and chose a present for being brave and then we went to the lovely Dutch Pancake House for lunch.

All too soon it was time to go back to manchester and send Tel back to work. Still, it was an unexpected bonus having him home and I miss him more than ever today.

Still, I have time to sew again now so watch this space x


  1. Sounds like a really busy, but really nice time. Too bad he wasn't home for longer. I hope J is feeling better.

  2. Sounds like you had a nice 48 hours apart from the visit to the hospital. Hope your son is feeling better.

  3. I hope your son feels better soon.

  4. Sounds like a mostly good time, despite the accident. Hope your DS is doing OK now & that you all got over the shock of what happened.